Do you experience a nagging and intense pain that you cannot find relief from no matter what position you are in? You may be dealing with sciatica.
Sciatica nerve pain is unruly and sometimes unpredictable if you are finding yourself unable to go on long road trips or even sit for a few hours in a movie theater without an anxious and painful experience.
At Select Health Pain and Regenerative Solutions, we have a history of success in treating sciatica through a series of medical equipment that is non-invasive, all-natural, and FDA approved. Our patients have seen success from sciatica in the following ways:
- Improved or eliminated pain
- Better sleep without pain
- Reduced swelling and inflammation
- Improved quality of life
- No surgery or pharmaceuticals
What is Sciatica?
This lower back issue isn’t a medical diagnosis but is a result of underlying conditions such as herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, etc. Sciatica is rarely seen in younger patients 20 and under and will surface in middle age — 40s and 50s.
While you may be able to describe the constant aching of sciatica, it manifests in the following symptoms including:
- Single-sided, constant pain in the leg and buttocks
- Pain that elevates when sitting
- A burning, searing, or tingling pain
- Mobility impairment that includes numbness, tingling, or weakness
- A sharp pain that makes movement difficult
- Pain that travels down the leg and reaching into the toes and foot
Why is sciatica so common?
Many people are affected with sciatic nerve pain because it is the single largest nerve in our bodies and has branching nerve roots that span the lower back and into lower limbs. Any disc issues can irritate this nerve and cause sciatica.
Sciatica can develop from the following disc issues such as:
- Herniated discs – A herniated disc happens when the inner jelly-like fluid is pushed through a small tear on in the exterior of the disc. As this occurs, it irritates the nerve and causes pain. One of the most common symptoms to a herniated or bulging disc is sciatica.
- Degenerative Disc Disease – This is a result of aging that causes the disc to dry out and become thin and flat. As the discs shrink, this aggravates the nerve, causing pain. Over time, bone spurs may develop, further causing nerve damage and increased pain.
- Spondylolisthesis – This disc condition is a result of a stress fracture slips one of the vertebrates forward, on top of another. With the disc collapse and the vertebrae moving forward, the sciatic nerve becomes pinched.
- Spinal Stenosis – This condition can cause sciatic pain as a result of the narrowing of the spinal canal. This in itself is a result of aging and is generally seen in older patients over the age of 60. Spinal stenosis surfaces from enlarged facet joints, a bulging disc, and an abundance of soft tissue — all crowd the sciatic nerve causing pain.
Other factors that can cause sciatica include:
- Muscle strain and tension
- Scar tissue
Are there risk factors for developing sciatica?
Like many other disc concerns, lifestyle factors play a big role in the development of sciatica. Ensure you maintain a healthy weight, stay active, and avoid nicotine.
How can I find relief for sciatica before my appointment?
If your pain is nonstop and you can’t find relief, consider trying the following in the meantime.
- Use heat and ice – Try using a cycle of heat and ice — use a heat pack for 20 minutes and then switch to an ice pack for 20 minutes. Cycle this to contain and alleviate the pain and repeat every two hours.
- Anti-inflammatories – Inflammation plays one of the biggest roles in sciatic pain, so being able to control it will help control the pain. Consider over-the-counter pain medications or herbal supplements such as turmeric or Boswellia.
- Topicals – There are many effective creams and muscle rubs that can soothe the sciatic nerve and reduce discomfort. Look for topicals with menthol, st. john’s wort, lavender, or Boswellia — these all have anti-inflammatory properties.
Looking for all-natural relief? Select Health Pain and Regenerative Solutions has you covered!
Living in pain affects you to the core — physically and emotionally — and can leave you as just a shell of your former, vibrant self.